Correct spelling, explanation: the word place first appeared in the Greek language as plateia hodos, which could be translated as broad way. Then it entered Latin in the form platea – open space – and then, through Old French, it finally came into Middle English. Today, place is a widely used noun and a verb.
Definition of place:
1. noun – some area, building, town, or city,
Barcelona is a beautiful place for a holiday.
2. noun – home,
Let’s meet at my place.
3. verb – to put something somewhere,
We can place it at the top of the wardrobe.
Expressions and idioms with place:
Some interesting idiomatic expressions include:
1. all over the place – in many different places, everywhere,
There were dirty clothes all over the place.
2. a place in the sun – a lucky and good position,
By getting this job she earned her place in the sun.
3. a place for everything and everything in its place – used to say that everything is well-organized and in a good position,
The resort was just perfect – there was a place for everything and everything in its place.
Incorrect spelling, explanation: the word place has a rather simple spelling, but when it comes to short words, it is easy to mix the letters in them. Exactly that happens with the word place, which is often mistakenly spelled as
palce. Thus, while writing this word pay attention not to make this mistake.
Still not sure?Ask your question in our comments section below (we reply to all comments within 24 hours)
or return to main search.