Correct spelling, explanation: the choice between canceled and cancelled depends on the variety of English you are using, and both spellings are considered correct in their respective contexts. In American English, it is more common and generally accepted to use canceled with one -l. In British English and some other English-speaking regions, cancelled with two -ls is the preferred spelling. Your choice should be based on the style guide or regional conventions you are following.
Correct spelling, explanation: the form cancelled consists of two elements: a word-formation base and a suffix. Other than that, one detail should be noted: the -l letter is doubled. If you’re wondering why, we have a simple explanation for you. There is an important principle in English: if the word has one vowel and it ends in one consonant, you double the last consonant before you add -ed. This rule doesn’t apply in the American English version of the word: you can spell it as canceled as well.
Definition of cancelled:
1. verb (past simple, past participle), to stop doing or planning to do (something)
She cancelled her hotel reservation when her travel plans changed suddenly.
Mark cancelled his trip to Paris.
2. adjective participle, called off
The original orders were cancelled and I was given fresh instructions.
In all likelihood, the meeting will be cancelled.
Collocations with cancelled:
Some most commonly used collocations include:
1. Cancelled reservation: when a booking or reservation for a hotel, restaurant, or other service is annulled or no longer valid.
I called the hotel to inform them about the change in my travel dates, and they promptly updated my booking to reflect the new dates after the cancelled reservation.
2. Cancelled subscription: when a service or membership is terminated or discontinued by the user or the provider.
He decided to contact the streaming service and request a refund for the remaining months of his cancelled subscription.
3. Cancelled order: when a purchase or request is revoked or annulled before it is fulfilled.
The customer service representative apologized for the inconvenience caused by the cancelled order and offered a discount on the next purchase.
4. Cancelled check: a check that has been marked as invalid or used and is no longer payable.
Please keep the cancelled check as proof of payment.
Still not sure?Ask your question in our comments section below (we reply to all comments within 24 hours)
or return to main search.