Correct spelling, explanation: the word copyright is a commonly used term that relates to intellectual property. You can come across it in many publications and on the Internet. It consists of two elements: copy, which means an identical duplicate of an original, and right, which stands for fair and just. On the other hand, the word
copywrite is incorrect. It refers to the term copywriting, which means creating advertising content. It is easy to confuse these two words because they are pronounced the same, but we should always remember that copywrite is not a term used in the English language.
Definition of copyright:
1. noun, the legal right of the owner of intellectual property
Copyright expires seventy years after the death of the author.
The agreement assigns copyright to the publisher.
2. adjective, protected by copyright; not allowed to be copied without permission
The company’s legal team ensured that all copyright documents were up-to-date to protect their intellectual property.
Before using the images in their presentation, they verified that they had the proper copyright permissions from the photographer.
3. verb, secure copyright for (material)
Seeking recognition and protection for her original musical composition, the composer eagerly decided to copyright her symphony.
Taking the necessary steps to protect his artistic creation, the filmmaker chose to copyright his movie.
Collocations with copyright:
Some most commonly used collocations include:
1. Copyright expiration: the point in time when the copyright protection for a work ends, and it enters the public domain.
After the copyright expiration, the classic novel entered the public domain, allowing anyone to use and distribute it freely.
2. Copyright term: the duration of time for which a copyright is valid before it expires.
The copyright term for books is usually the life of the author plus 70 years.
3. Copyright symbol: the © symbol used to indicate that a work is protected by copyright.
The company’s logo includes the copyright symbol to indicate its exclusive ownership of the brand’s design.
4. Copyright clearance: the process of obtaining permission from the copyright owner to use their work in a specific manner.
Before using the song in the commercial, the advertising agency obtained copyright clearance from the music label.
Incorrect spelling, explanation: if someone hasn’t encountered the term copyright often or hasn’t seen it written correctly, they may guess the spelling incorrectly.
Copywrite is not a valid term in the context of intellectual property rights. It is likely a misspelling or confusion between copyright and copywriting. You should know that the word copywrite can be considered a verb meaning the creation of promotional content, however, it is not a correct term.
Still not sure?Ask your question in our comments section below (we reply to all comments within 24 hours)
or return to main search.